DOTA 2

Discussion in 'MOBA' started by Fourcups, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Fourcups

Fourcups Registered

So yeah, got a DOTA 2 key this weekend.
    Anyone else have one yet?
    [​IMG]

Members playing Dota 2:
    1. Fourcups
    2. explosivose
    3. faemir
    4. Mr. Tonic
    5. Just^Godlike
    6. zero51
    7. Shunt19
    8. oliverw92
    9. Harold Saxon
    10. CBond
    11. Nadia
    12. Christian
    13. clarkey252
    14. Elivercury
    15. shameen
    The basic DotA 2 guide by Just^Godlike
    I've decided to write a small basic guide to DotA 2 after seeing how many people are interested in playing it. Its purpose is to help out people with little or no knowledge of the game and make their first games not that stressful, as most people agree DotA is a hard game to master. I'm not going to dig deep into the mechanics and "cute tricks", I just want to introduce the game to you.

Heroes

Every hero in DotA has 3 abilities which could be leveled up 4 times each and one ultimate ability which could be leveled up 3 times. There is also a stats boost - could be leveled 10 times and gives you +2 to all stats (will talk about stats in a bit), meaning you get +20 to all stats and +20 damage once you level it up to the maximum. Sometimes it is wise to invest in a point or two in stats, rather than leveling up a skill, because of mana or survivability problems. The max level is of course 25.
    The heroes in DotA have 3 different attributes - Strength, Agility and Intelligence. Strength gives health and hp regen, Agility provides armor and attack speed and Intelligence boosts mana and mana regen. Every hero has a main attribute. Every point in that attribute also increases the hero's damage by 1. This is why it is important (in most cases) to buy items that increase your main attribute first, although you should not leave out the rest.

Gold

Creeps are really important in this game as they are the main source of income for you. A wave of creeps (4 or 5) give you almost the same amount of gold a hero kill would, but on the flip side are harder to kill compared to LoL, for example. Also, when you die you lose gold. This is crucial because if you go kamikaze and kill someone, but then die, you gain nothing. Sure, you get the xp but you usually lose more gold than you received for the kill.
    Denying is the thing which makes the game so hard to master and also makes the difference between average and good players. The process of denying is just to last hit an allied unit when it's low on health. You can deny everything that is under your or your allies control - creeps, summons, towers and even heroes. When you deny a creep/summoned unit, the enemy team gets no gold from it and just a tiny bit of xp and an exclamation mark appears above the killed unit, letting the enemy team know that this unit has just been denied. When you deny a tower, however, the enemy team gets a small amount of gold, but nothing compared to a tower kill. And lastly, you can deny a team-mate if he is really low on health and has a DOT (damage over time) ability on himself. That way you practically deny the enemy team from receiving any gold or xp. The dead ally still loses gold, however.

Items

Items in DotA are really unique. Most of them give you some sort of ability, which aids you in battle. They can be sold, dropped to the ground, even transferred to another hero (only works with consumables, "proper" items won't have any effect). Important to note is because of the different stats that every hero has, it is rarely a good idea to buy items that boost an attribute which is not your main one, however items which boost all your stats are fine. When you first start playing, just follow the suggested item list - it is pretty acurate and completely customizable. If you are a LoL player - please, for the love of God, don't start with boots. It is arguably the worst possible starting item. I am not going to go deep into this section, all I'm going to talk about here is Orb effects.
    Some items are extremely strong when coupled with other particular items. This is why some of them are considered Unique Attack Modifiers or in other words - Orb Effects. Orb effect items are not stackable with other orb effect items. A short list of such items is lifesteal, mana burn, slowing items, etc. This is why one should really think what item to get and not just buy whatever. An interesting fact is that some heroes have skills which are also considered Orb effects, such as Anti-Mage's Mana burn or Ursa's Fury swipes. In that case, the specific hero is unable to buy any Orb effect items as they will not work with his skill. Same goes for ranged heroes with some sort of attack modifier skill - Drow Ranger's Frost arrows or Clinkz' Searing arrows. Any orb effect will replace them.

Environment and vision

The map in DotA is fairly similar to the other games of this genre. However, it is much bigger than LoL's. Most of the terrain is made out of trees, which are completely destructable by certain spells/items. This creates the unique opportunity to either disappear into the fog by making a hole in the trees which could serve as a path or just destroy them in order to get sight of a specific area. Keep in mind though, that trees respawn every 5 minutes in game time if there is no hero nearby (to prevent heroes getting stuck).
    There are also cliffs, which are very important when it comes to vision. Units on high ground can see on the lower ground, but if you are on the lower ground you will have vision uphill only when you go there, meaning you could be ambushed. Another characteristic of cliffs is that units attacking from lower ground have a 25% chance to miss their ranged attacks when fighting uphill. This is especially crucial if you are on middle lane with a ranged hero, because the river crosses mid lane, creating a cliff for each side.
    The day and night cycle is also relevant. During the day all units have maximum sight range, while in the night it is reduced by a lot (1800 sight range during the day, 800 in the night). Every cycle lasts for 12 in-game minutes - 6 minutes day and 6 minutes night. Some heroes benefit from the time of the day, like Night Stalker. All his abilities are buffed during the night, making him almost unstoppable. However, during the day he is pretty mediocre.
    Every 2 minutes a rune spawns. Each spawning location is in the river, one of them is north-west of the middle of the map, and the other is south-east. A new rune spawns only if the last one has been pick up, meaning rune stacking is impossible. Runes give your hero a temporary boost in some way. The different runes are Double Damage, Regeneration, Illusion, Haste and Invisibility.
    And last, but not least - Roshan, the jungle boss. He is a powerful neutral creep which, when slain, gives the entire team a huge amount of gold and xp and drops an item. Whoever picks it up essentially gains a second life - when killed, he respawns in 3 seconds at the same place where he was slain with full hp and mana.

To the LoL players - it is HERO, not a champion; TOWER, not a turret; CREEPS, not minions.

Thanks for reading this. Let me know if you liked it and if you want me to write more stuff like that about DotA, including more advanced stuff, DOs and DON'Ts or something else.

2. explosivose

explosivose Honourable

3. Mr. Tonic

Mr. Tonic Honourable

Do want. Will wait.

4. Shunt19

Shunt19 Honourable

Steam:
    Shunt19
    [​IMG]

Alex Li and Fourcups like this.
  5. Alex Li

Alex Li Registered

errr...how can someone, say, I, get one beta-key?
    And will there be a open test? If yes, when is that? I can't find any relavent information on the DOTA2 website(maybe I went to the wrong site lol)
    played a lot DOTA back home and really looking forward to try DOTA2

6. explosivose

explosivose Honourable

7. Fourcups

Fourcups Registered

I didn't say I had one, I said I got a...
    And who knows, you know what valve are like.:derp:

8. Alex Li

Alex Li Registered

Well......I'd like to hear your comments when you actully had it.
    Where's the official site anyway? I can't find any thing about how long will the test last or something on that dota2.com

9. Fourcups

Fourcups Registered

That is the official site, what do you mean about my comments when I had it?

10. Fourcups

Fourcups Registered

Sorry I just completely miss read this :derp:
    You can get one from dota2.com by completing a survey somewhere, I think its hard to find though :/

11. explosivose

explosivose Honourable

that was the survey that I linked to, if it doesn't work then I guess they've stopped it

12. LandWolf

LandWolf Game Server Donator

I signed up to try and get one, I only really want it because other people have it though.

13. Alex Li

Alex Li Registered

I want to give DOTA2 a try because I spent so much time on DOTA1. Back then I got a banch of friends or roommates play together as a team. That was FUN.
    Especially when I manage to get some impossilbe kills and make people rage quit.:trolldad:

14. Fourcups

Fourcups Registered

Ill let you have a round at lan31 if you like.

15. Just Godlike

Just Godlike Registered

Steam:
    justgodlik3
    I just won a beta key! There is a way to win one. All you have to do is to be a dota fan and have an account on playdota.com created prior to 10.2011. 180 beta keys are being given away every day here www.playdota.com/forums/549077/playdota-beta-key-draw/ . All you have to do is post a comment and you are automatically entered into the daily draw. You can post a comment every day afaik

zero51 and Fourcups like this.
  16. Just Godlike

Just Godlike Registered

Steam:
    justgodlik3
    Does anyone have a beta key and doesn't need it?

17. Stephen Edwards

Stephen Edwards Registered

18. Just Godlike

Just Godlike Registered

Steam:
    justgodlik3
    Ok guys, could everyone who has a beta key for DotA 2 post his steam profile here, so we can play a game? I'm justgodlik3

19. explosivose

explosivose Honourable

explosivose

so_phi likes this.
  20. Mr. Tonic

Mr. Tonic Honourable

mrtonic

Finally reporting in :D

explosivose and Just^Godlike like this.