Valve - Hardware Expect

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Shunt19, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Shunt19

Shunt19 Honourable

Steam:
    Shunt19
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19475312

game maker valve software recruits hardware experts

interesting, discuss.

2. Ter0

Ter0 Honourable

Steam:
    Ter0
    half life 3 confirmed console exclusive!
    edit: i hope not...

3. explosivose

explosivose Honourable

i didn't think this was news?

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Honourable

Steam:
    GeorgeStorm
    they only recently confirmed it i think.

i'm not holding my breath, don't really see what they can do which will be awesome, unless they just provide a decent pc for a great price in a small package, which won't be anything innovative, just means they'll be losing money on it :p

5. explosivose

explosivose Honourable

they've been experimenting with interface and feedback for a few years so i'd be surprised to see a full blown platform or something

6. Ter0

Ter0 Honourable

Steam:
    Ter0
    from that quote it sounds like they're going to try and blend pc and console gaming... somehow...

7. oliverw92

oliverw92 Honourable

Steam:
    oliverw92
    like dis?

computer.png

8. Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou Registered

Steam:
    da5thchilipepper
  9. Bibble

Bibble Honourable

Steam:
    not really, i'd probably put this in the same kind of stream as the linux version of steam. once you have that up and running, you can start working on cross-compatability of 3rd party games, and amassing the libraries and scripts to put together a linux distribution tweaked for gaming (albeit with a slightly depleted library at first).

if you want a look at something vaguely similar, i'd probably take a gander at the progress of the xbmc project. started as a specific development for a specific platform, which was then taken multi-platform, and eventually has it's own distro with the aim of making it as easy as possible to get it running.

there are differences (open vs. closed, initially linux based vs initialy windows based, 3rd party interferences, etc.), but there are reasonable similarities in the progressions. once you have an operating system and the requirements, you can start bundling hardware to go along with it, as the complete package.

personally, i would be interested it see how this progresses. being a game maker/distributer turned console maker rather than hardware maker or os makes turned console maker. plus the valve ethos would add an interesting slant to everything.

10. Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou Registered

Steam:
    da5thchilipepper
    suddenly, hats!

11. Etw

Etw Honourable

if anything i expect some sort of onlive, non-high end console or possibly even inbuilt into a tv offering for non high end gaming, linked to your steam account, something like a steam version of the xbox arcade but solely focussed at social/casual gaming situations rather than xbox arcade which is an addon to an existing device. that way they keep the platform for pcs for high end gaming but still expand their offerings to new markets for both existing and new customers.

12. Shunt19

Shunt19 Honourable

Steam:
    Shunt19
    i could imagine a console device that has steam on it.

i've always imagined valve jumping to film distribution, steam has helped conquer game piracy why not do the same in the film industry. maybe not, i suppose film companies would let you buy a digital copy at a cheap price they'd want you to "rent" it for a few days.

13. Kerrima

Kerrima Registered

console device with steam you say? so you could possibly own the console and pc version of a game? could be cool.

14. Bibble

Bibble Honourable

Steam:
    similar to what they did with portal 2? buy the ps3 version, activate your account with steam, and get the pc version to go along with it?

and the steamplay stuff. if it's available on more than one platform, you can play it on all of those platforms.

15. Danderlyon

Danderlyon Game Server Donator

Steam:
    Danderlyon
    there's actually two new design positions up for grabs on the valve website - industrial and interaction design. i should know, i checked the valve website for suitable vacancies when i was looking for jobs and they weren't there then :p

interaction design for the uninitiated is the design of platforms that people have to navigate through and use. you'd hire a interaction designer to create the screen flow for a mobile app or a big website for example.

that coupled with hiring an industrial designer, plus that patent which i've had a skim through - i've got two ideas. one crazy and the other normal.

1. the patent is for a game controller, not a game console. similar to what others have said in the thread, valve are going to make their own console with a unique customisable controller to suit every gamers needs. it will be able to connect to your network and games you buy on your pc or the console will be available on either platform. perhaps it even allows you to save hard drive space by using the console to store the games and run them from (not sure how feasible this actually is?).

2. valve release a "console for pc" where you purchase a controller that remembers details about your steam account, what games you have access to and such. similar to how a wii-mote remembers miis that you put on it. a system is developed where if you plug multiples of these into a pc at a time and you all own the game you can play with your friends at the same pc.

2.5. a combination of the two - a console where you can plug in and play with a group of friends at the same time.

16. Shunt19

Shunt19 Honourable

Steam:
    Shunt19
  17. Harold Saxon

Harold Saxon Honourable

18. Dr.ezha

Dr.ezha Registered

doh. have just read the website.

i was expecting a steam console.

[​IMG]

just seen you basically plug your pc into you tv. ಠ_ಠ

19. Ter0

Ter0 Honourable

Steam:
    Ter0
    i don't get it. it's a ui for big screens with some better gamepad support? whoop de flippin' do.

20. Dr.ezha

Dr.ezha Registered

yeah, i got excited, saw what it was and decided to go back and crawl under my rock.