Committee Handbook & LAN Planning
This section will outline the responsibilities of the current committee roles
- Responsible for the safe overall running of the LSU Video Game Society, and making sure nothing catastrophically messes up.
- The main point of contact for liaison with LSU. Chair must be able to converse with union staff regularly and willingly, e.g. via e-mail and in person with the Student Executive Officer.
- Must be free to attend meetings organised by the Societies Executive Officer relating to both how all societies are run (Societies' Forum) and the Chairs Council, which are held periodically throughout both semesters.
- A ‘front person’ for the club, able to promote the clubs’ interests in outside circles e.g other Universities and companies.
- Responsible for calling and chairing regular Committee meetings.
- To provide resources and support to other Committee members in pursuit of their respective roles. e.g. potentially covering absent member's roles.
- To guide the society as a whole and to maintain ‘overall vision’ and is therefore ultimately responsible for the publicity to promote society interests.
- When things go wrong the Chair must be able to resolve a wide variety of matters swiftly and professionally, e.g. choose the most practical way forward.
- The Chair must create an environment where they are the ‘chief server’ - i.e. the person who makes it possible for everyone else to do his or her job, the Chair provides the backup and the support.
- To ensure the well-being of other committee members and to ensure that committee roles do not affect their personal lives negatively.
- To create an environment of learning within the committee, and to actively encourage independent thinking among committee members.
- To share responsibility in writing and preparing grant applications with the Treasurer, and ensuring all committee sign off on applications.
- Expected to coordinate tasks in the time leading up to a LAN such as resource booking, activity planning and technical preparation.
- Responsible for the general smooth running of LANs including resolving disputes and aiding attendees with important problems.
- To prepare and deliver welcome and closing talks.
- Normally expected to run the pub quiz.
Vice Chair(top)General Responsibilities
- To ensure Committee members fulfil union training requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring accurate Risk Assessments are done for all club activities and passed to LSU Society Administrator for checking. Responsible for ensuring all members read and sign Risk Assessments relevant to specific activities.
- To work with the Chair in writing up applications for Student Union Awards.
- To assist the Chair in contacting external persons/organisations.
- To assist with event organisation when deemed necessary.
- To be prepared to take the place of the Chair at meetings organised by the Societies Executive Officer if required.
- For being in charge of coordinating stash orders working with the Treasurer when necessary.
- Responsible for door security.
- To organise committee rota and ensure it is followed.
- To organise seat bookings.
- Expected to share responsibility with the Secretary for manning the sign-in desk during required times.
- Responsible for the general administration of LSU Video Game Society including keeping minutes of meetings. The Secretary must notify all members at least 14 days before a general meeting.
- To offer an unbiased opinion in meetings and give input based upon the general member base.
- To be willing to go out of their way to get member feedback and make sure all parts of the society are represented.
- Responsible for monitoring and managing the membership of the club, including advising LSU of any changes to fees, membership restrictions etc.
- To manage the documents section of the forum including the upload of new minutes and agenda to the society Drive, and ensuring the wiki is up-to-date, excluding technical details.
- In charge of production and distribution of documents such as sign-in sheets, tuck shop price lists and seat numbers, as well as no entry signs and do not touch signs.
- Expected to share responsibility with the Vice Chair for manning the sign-in desk during required times.
- Responsible for waste management at LANs
- Responsible for reducing waste and carbon footprint at LANs.
- Responsible for the financial affairs of LSU Video Game Society.
- Manage account red book for the internal account and organise relevant functions. e.g. Cashing-in, issue receipts, authorising claims. Provide regular financial statements to the Committee.
- Responsible for managing claims and statements put through the eXpense 365 app. Authorisation of spending to be confirmed with the Chair.
- To share responsibility in writing and preparing grant applications with the Chair, and ensuring all committee sign off on applications.
- The Treasurer is required to prepare accounts (Red Book) to be made available to the Societies Administrator upon request. LSU Video Game Society accounts must be handed to the Societies Administrator, for checking at the end of the Society Treasurer’s year of office. All Account Books must also be handed into the Union at the end of the academic year along with all chequebooks, paying in books and other relevant documents.
- To communicate with the chair on financial matters and keep the committee in the loop on any issues or changes to the system.
- Expected to act as 'Quartermaster' of the society - audit and keep track of society possessions, updating the asset list and updating the Societies Administrator with those lists.
- To document all transactions made by the society. (Red book and expenses on the Drive.)
- Has a duty of care towards the society funds, ie making sure that Not Money is never left unattended
- Responsible for the society cash box during the event i.e. ensuring on duty committee have it.
- Expected to keep track of money in the tuck shop.
- Responsible for the food order.
- Execute role as quartermaster by ensuring all society equipment is successfully returned to storage after the event.
Gaming Officer(top)General Responsibilities
- Responsible for organising and promoting Monday Night Gaming for society members.
- Expected to keep online gaming servers and offline gaming machines up to date and installed with any games the society needs or wants.
- Required to have a keen interest in gaming but willing to sacrifice their own gaming time if need be for the benefit of the society.
- To organise games at all events, including LANs and Console Nights.
- Responsible for proposing new ideas to encourage participation in society games.
- To liaise with the chair on gaming ideas and issues involving tournaments at LAN, or Console Nights.
- Planning of the LAN timetable.
- Organisation, promotion and running of game tournaments.
- Expected to host a variety of game servers on the LAN game server for use by attendees of the event.
- Expected to setup and maintain games running on society consoles, HTC Vive and LAN box.
- To assist with member-run activities where necessary notably being involved in werewolves.
Technical Officer(top)General Responsibilities
- Will lead and involve LSU Video Game Society members in the development and maintenance of the society's websites (www.lsu.co.uk and lsuvgs.org.uk).
- Will oversee and involve LSU Video Game Society members in the maintenance (in terms of both hardware and software) of any servers or machines owned/hosted by the society.
- Will be the main point of contact for web related queries (including bug reports and feature requests).
- Responsible for ensuring all external links are live, and do not breach LSU’s Code of Practice (including logos and links back to www.lsu.co.uk).
- Responsible for the maintenance of society equipment outside of LAN time, as well as suggesting improvements/purchases necessary to ensure equipment is suitable for society needs.
- Responsible for continuing current overhaul of network equipment.
- Communicate with the chair on technical issues.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating the current technical handbook, and writing up issues and how they were resolved.
- Responsible for updating the Technical aspects of the Wiki.
- In charge of all technical elements of the LAN.
- Expected to organise and delegate everything involved in setup and takedown of the event. This includes gathering a setup team.
- Responsible for any technical issues that arise during the LAN, including resolving general issues for attendees.
- Required to book internet for the event by contacting IT Services.
- Responsible for the LAN presentation.
Public Relations Officer(top)General Responsibilities
- Check the committee email account regularly and respond to general enquiries.
- Organising and enter sponsorship opportunities via contests (ESSA and RateMyPlacement).
- Point of contact for sponsors and partners and for ensuring contact is passed onto the next committee.
- Responsible for gaining new sponsorship.
- To make and keep in contact with other societies regarding inter-society activities.
- Looking after sponsors and organising prizes for tournaments.
- Being active in promoting the society to external attendees.
- Responsible for coordinating with other societies.
Media Officer(top)General Responsibilities
- Expected to organise and distribute promotional material for LSUVGS and its events (production of said material is allowed to be outsourced so design skills are not required).
- Responsible for keeping the society's social media accounts active and in order.
- Expected to organise media coverage of events where appropriate, including publishing of events on the Forums and Facebook.
- Responsible for the society's media profile as a whole.
- Responsible for the correct use of LSU branding on all promotional materials.
- Responsible for pushing events to the Society Events Coordinator for publicity.
- Responsible for organising proper media coverage of LANs. This includes ensuring photos are being taken and the society video camera is being used (can be outsourced if necessary).
- Media coverage includes collecting footage after the event and storing/publicising it afterwards.
- Being active in promoting the society to external attendees.
Events and Social Officer(top)General Responsibilities
- Responsible for organising events such as educational talks, regular socials, and other social activities that involve as many members as possible. This involves planning the event, liaising with the Media and Publicity Officer to publicise it and then ensuring that the event runs smoothly.
- To liaise with the Secretary to ensure full Risk Assessments are done for all trips and related activities.
- To organise transport to and from events, working with the Treasurer to establish budgets.
- To organise weekly Steak Nights when necessary (ie informing Amber Rooms of when our steak nights will and won't be during term time).
- Responsible for communicating SocSport events to members and gathering interest where possible.
- To look into and do rough plans for new events.
- To ensure members are involved at events and have a good time.
- To liaise with the chair on matters of new potential events.
- Responsible for organising the free hot dogs Friday night of LAN.
- Ensuring the Urn is regularly filled in the tuckshop.
Vice Technical Officer(top)General Responsibilities
- Will assist and involve LSU Video Game Society members in the development and maintenance of the society's websites (lsu.co.uk/society/videogame and lsuvgs.org.uk).
- Will assist and involve LSU Video Game Society members in the maintenance (in terms of both hardware and software) of any computers the society own or rent.
- Will be the secondary point of contact for web related queries (including bug reports and feature requests).
- Responsible for ensuring all external links are live, and do not breach LSU’s Code of Practice.
- Will assist the technical officer wherever possible and learn as much as possible about the TO role.
- Responsible for the upkeep and welfare of our Discord bot (Botty).
- To help the committee as a team member and build valuable team working and time management skills
- Half-year role from November to February/February-November.
- Aid the Technical Officer during LAN setup and takedown.
- Help solve technical issues that may arise during the event.
- Responsible for set up and take down of the projector and PA system.
- Ensuring the James France PA system remains unmolested.